On Tuesday 30th May we held our first AGM as a committee. We said a ‘Thanks and bon voyage’ to Colleen Swagar, our outgoing secretary, and welcomed Tor McKay into the team.
Minutes: We attach minutes of the meeting for you to read through at your leisure!
Car park: A parent contacted us prior to the meeting, asking for the car park to be discussed in further detail. At busy periods of the day, it can be very unsafe for pupils and drivers, with cars double parking and not turning in the correct road markings. It was noted during the meeting that parents are still waiting at pick up (and drop off) outside the swimming pool area, making it difficult for following traffic to turn at the appropriate point. We kindly ask that if you are dropping off and picking up during the busy times, that you either stop in one of the designated drop off lay-bys, pull into the actual car park itself into a marked bay, or alternatively, make arrangements to meet/drop in the streets locally.
It was also mentioned that several cars seem to park all day in some of the lay-bys, making them unusable for a quick drop off, this will be monitored, as will the general car parking, to see if we can find a resolution. There isn’t anything we can do to alter the layout of the carpark, so encouraging walking to school and being considerate to other users is our only option!
We have had a busy few months, and so far during this school year the PTN have….
- Sponsored Walk: Helped as stewards at this annual event, supplying refreshments for pupils taking part.
- PTN Constitution: Rewritten for the group, to reflect forward purpose and new structure.
- Department Funding: Facilitated ‘wish-list’ mechanism. £450 has been allocated to various departments for resources to make the school day easier/more fun.
- Active Kids Vouchers: Reinstated the Sainsburys voucher collection. Home Economics staff are currently choosing from the catalogue to see what they can buy to best benefit class learning.
- Parental Survey: Created / launched, to establish how to best serve you and your families.
- Community: Various events scheduled to meet parents/carers who otherwise may be unable to attend meetings held in WHS after school (e.g. Internet safety). More to follow next term.
- Communication: Become more active on social media, to hopefully reach more parents/carers.
- Uniform Bank: Helping recycle and also provide affordable uniform for all. Please donate good quality uniform that can be swapped/sold for a donation. Hand to the office for attention of the PTN. Money raised will directly benefit WHS Eco Club. Uniform will be sold in the Wallace Room – dates to be set.
- Activities Day: Provided treats to the pupils who stayed in school during Activities Day, enhancing the cinema experience with the addition of ice cream, popcorn, chocolate and a drink.
- Yearbook: Donated money to the school to help ensure that all school leavers receive a Yearbook.
- Networking: Attended several Training / Workshop events at other parent councils locally, to learn more about PTN role.
- Fundraising: Held raffles / sold refreshments at school events, helping raise funds to support WHS.
Next term we are aiming to provide refreshments for parents during ‘meet the teacher’ evenings, as, from experience, we know that a cup of tea or coffee can be very welcome when your child books appointments at either end of the evening! We will base ourselves in the atrium to catch you on your way to and from meetings!
You are invited to take part in our 50/50 fundraiser. 50% of funds goes into fundraising for the school, the remaining 50% is distributed through monthly prizes. You can buy as many chances to win as you like, and get your family, friends and neighbours to join too – the more people that join in the draw, the more prizes/higher prize money there will be. Join ASAP to benefit from the full 10 month draw period, starting in September. Please see the attached letter for all the info.
Have a wonderful summer break, and hopefully meet you all at some stage over the next school year! If you would like to find out more about how you can help, or if you have any ideas for us, please get in touch.
Best wishes from us all on the PTN (Parent Teacher Network)